Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:03:51 -0800
To anyone concerned with the "Could be infected" or "Could not be scanned" messages after using
an online virus scan program...

Depending on the type of file that cannot be scanned, you have options. "Could be infected" simply
means the file was not 'scanable' for various reasons. I had several files which could not be
scanned, but that is not cause for alarm. For those whom are finding the .GID and .CAB files
un-scanable, I suggest the following...

First, the .GID files can be safely deleted - they are generated whenever you click 'Help' in any
program or window. A new .GID file will be created the next time you click "Help", and each time
thereafter. (That is why the message "Preparing help for the first time" appears.) I delete them on
a weekly basis to recover disk space.

Secondly, .CAB files are compressed files from which programs extract their required files. They are
installed onto a hard drive for the purpose of reinstalling problem programs quickly (rather than
having to search a cd-rom). They are usually safe to delete *provided you have the program CD from
which they came*. However, I don't recommend randomly deleting .CAB files unless you understand
their purpose. You should find that your own VS program can scan them - I don't know why an online
scan will not. Also, to my knowledge, .CAB files are not written to, so the chance of a virus
infecting one is highly unlikely. Since some of you are reporting corrupted .CAB files, I suspect
they were not read correctly, or in an unfamiliar format, and I doubt they are corrupt at all.

For other "un-scanable" files, look at where they are - if they are in a program you've been using,
and the program runs fine, chances are they're safe. ( The only exception to this, that I can think
of, is if they are in your email program folder - that could suggest a virus.) Again, you should
find
that you can scan them with your own VS program.

If you suspect your system might be infected with the snow white virus, it's time to research it -
any VS products homepage will help find a particular virus and possible fixes for it. Short
of that, type the virus name into any search engine and you'll find something that will help.

Alan Thompson