Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:06:27 +1000
Bob writes:

<<I really dislike disagreeing with anyone, but this advice is not
sound.  I have
upgraded numerous PCs to WindowsXP over the last many months, PCs
with older hardware and I am yet to have any credible problems.  WinXP
has a tremendous driver database to deal with older hardware, such as
modems, video cards, SCSI cards, network cards and so forth.>>

Not so much disagreement, I think, as an illustration of how differently
things work for each of us.

Bob's experiences are quite different from the redoubtable Fred Langa's
reports of his own experiences in moving to XP, and of many experiences
reported in other digests.

On the other hand, of course I wouldn't deny that in the majority of cases,
the upgrade will proceed smoothly and trouble-free, as it should. One
should merely be aware that problems may occur. And I suspect that a lot
may depend on operator experience, and even on how well the computer is set
up before attempting the upgrade.

It might be interesting to run a survey to see how most readers have fared
so far, though I suppose that computer setups vary so much that any such
survey would not produce very meaningful results.

<<WindowsXP is what
Windows95 should have been if Microsoft had spent a little more time writing
better code years ago.>>

No doubt about that.  But how long would we have had to wait? And how good
would it have been without all that went before it? Anyway, the PC's of
that period would not have been capable of running XP.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml