Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joe Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:48:41 +0200
Can anyone help with this.
I am running Excel95.  Someone has sent me an Excel97 worksheet, saved
in 95 format.  I can read it OK but as soon as I save it or copy the
sheet I start getting error messages:
"Cannot add another custom format"
I had to clear 50+ of these before Excel worked again.

Looking in Format cells - custom, I see that I now have an enormous list
of custom cell formats.  I can delete them one by one, but
- firstly this is very time-consuming (after each delete the list
scrolls back to the top ..) - could I edit them out of the registry?

- and secondly I don't know which are actually in use.  What happens if
I delete a custom format that the current sheet uses?  Or that another
workbook, not currently open, uses? Are they stored in the worksheets
and will just get added back into the list?

I am not in the mood for re-installing anything ...
thanks,
Joe