Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:26:19 -0800
Yes I think your SB16 is the problem. No 32 bit or 3D Stereo enhancement
for one. Double click the speaker icon in the tray. Enable <Advanced>
...then enter advanced . A SB32 or above will have a check box for < 3D
Stereo enhancement > and this makes a BIG difference in the sound. Of
course if you have a digital sound card that check box won't be there.

The next step above a SB16 was the SB32 PNP followed by the AWE64 Gold and
Value. From there Creative went to PCI slots, digital, and surround sound.
Frankly when it comes to just listening to stereo music on PC speakers, I
think you will find that a  SB32 or a AWE64 Value  is  as good as you need.
The typical current motherboard with on board sound will have a 32 bit
sound chip because that is all most users want or need. Beyond that you are
getting into midi instruments, digital sound, fancy studio recording,
surround sound for high end gaming, and home theater. All of which are as
expensive pursuits as they sound!I But if you are shopping on eBay get a
AWE64 gold or Value rather then a SB32 PNP if for no other reason then the
size of the card. A SB32 is longer then most modern motherboards!

If you want a higher fidelity sound you can get from plugging your sound
card into your stereo receiver, then buy a AWE64 Gold from eBay. I paid 27
dollars for mine but these cards retailed for well over 200 dollars in
their time.  However the Gold has no on board amplification like the other
SB ISA cards, and the gold has <gold > plated RCA stereo jacks as opposed
to the standard 1/8 inch stereo phone jacks. It also has superior fidelity
specifications. Short of going digital which requires digital speaker
amplification, or a digital receiver, ... you won't get better standard PC
stereo sound then from a AWE64 GOLD outputted to a receiver, pre-amp or
home stereo setup. Only obsessive audiophiles will be able to discern
differences, and even with them I wonder if it has more to do with the
money they have invested in equipment then in any meaningful difference :)

Back when I had a Pentium 133 with 48 megs of RAM, I use to use my SB32 to
record CD audio tracks into wav files using the software that Creative
provided with the driver CD. A wav file has all the information and  is
still the best quality, but unlike mp3 a 1 minute wav file equals around 12
megs of music! Your typical 4 minute pop song turns into a 50 - 60 meg
file! I would output to an old Mitsubishi 80- watt  stereo receiver and two
boxed 6X9 Alpine Tri-axial speakers that I pulled out of my old Datson
280ZX. No problems and great sound ...I still use those speakers and
receiver with a digital SB Live! card.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>If that's the case, then it would appear that the old SoundBlaster 16 Pro
>should be put out on pension as not able to reproduce the entire sound range
>of any particular music CD. Since more modern sound cards are not terribly
>expensive, it would probably be worthwhile to spend a few bucks and replace
>my old one. I'm otherwise happy with this old PC but would kind of like to
>be able to mix some music by various artists so I can then play pre-selected
>playlists - without having to have a dozen or so original CDs hanging
>around.
>
>Sure would welcome any other ideas and/or suggestions.
>
>Larry Stewart
>email: [log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml