Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 04:15:35 EDT
Dear Listers,

I'm hoping someone can help with this older machine.  Upon starting, it goes
through the boot up process (?) and stops at Primary Boot-strap.  My client
said she was typing in WP51 and went to print and then the whole thing froze
up.  It's an older machine and frankly I don't have the experience with the
older routines.  It's a

386
16mhz
4mg ram
100mg HD
Win 3.1

I can boot off a floppy and access C:  After booting off the floppy I went
into the Windows directory and tried starting windows through there.  I
receive an error message saying "Himem.sys is missing.  Check config.sys and
windows directory" or something to that effect.  Himem.sys is in windows
directory and DOS and is listed in config.sys.  I deleted himem.sys believing
it might be corrupt and replaced with himem.sys file from working 3.1
computer.  It still won't boot and I get the same results.  So I checked on
the working 3.1 computer and saw the  himem.sys line referred to the DOS
directory and not Windows like the broken machine so I changed the config.sys
to point to the DOS directory instead.  Still no results.  Here is the
autoexec and config files:

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=E
FCBS=4,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,256

Autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T3

SET SOUND=C:\SB
LH /L:0;1,45456 /S C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\WP51\
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

C:\MOUSE\MOUSE
CD\BUTTONS
BUTTONS

C:\MOUSE\MOUSE
C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

I realize this old 16mhz machine is probably a better doorstop, but the
client is a single mom w/4 kids and it was meeting her word processing needs.
 I'm doing the work "pro bono".  I'm hoping one of the lists experts has had
experience with these older machines and can help me out on this.

I apologize for the length of this email, I wanted to provide as much info as
I could.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Nowicki

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: