Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:45:38 +1000
Joyce writes:

<<I came across a "recommended" download to "speed up" my
computer:  SpeedUpMyPC by Uniblue.  Is it or is it not a good idea to
download and use this software?>>

Bad. For 2 reasons.

1. Uniblue software appears to hover on the borderline between scamware and
genuine.  It does work in some cases, but will usually end up asking you
for money for problems which may not be genuine. On principal, I would not
trust any company that offers something for free, and then further down the
line you find you have to pay for it.  I had occasion a while ago to
research Uniblue for a friend who swore that a particular Uniblue program
was a good thing to have, because it quoted on its website  many
"independent" reviews, all praising it to the hilt.  Upon looking at those
reviews, I discovered that many of those so-called independent websites had
only Uniblue reviews, and moreover they all seemed to have been written in
a very similar style, similar wording, phrases, etc, as if all had been
written by the same person.  'Nuf said. Which is a shame, because it seems
that some of their software may actually be quite good. But any software
company that stoops to this type of marketing is "out" in my book. Maybe
they've picked up their act more recently, I haven't looked to see.

2. I would not trust any automatic  speedup or "fixit" software. More often
than not, they can compound existing problems, or at best cover them up in
such a way that other, sometimes worse, problems may result. Occasionally
they can create real havoc.  Much better to find out just what is slowing
the system, then fix it in a methodical way. Cure-all solutions rarely work.

Don Penlington