Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:41:59 -0500
Gary:
Your main computer will work as it is, but it would be nice if you got some
more RAM -- Mandrake 7.1 says 32 mb will work, but 64 is better.
Here are a couple of other things to consider:
1. You're going to have to re-partition your hard drive -- Mandrake 7.1
needs 500 mb for a minimal installation. 1.5 to 2 gb is required for a full
installation. This is a scary process, as there is always the risk that
you'll blow away your Windows partition. I use Partition Magic, but both Red
Hat and Mandrake provide tools that work.
2. The single biggest source of trouble for newbies seems to be modems: Some
modems rely on the CPU to handle most of the work. They use special drivers
to do this, and the drivers will only work under Windows. The general rule
is that all non-USB modems are OK, but internal modems (particularly PCI
types) are suspect. (I've go a Zoom 2919 internal modem, and it works fine.
I did have to reset the jumpers to disable plug-and-play, though.) Both
Mandrake and Red Hat maintain hardware compatibility lists on their
websites. While you are there, check out your other hardware.
3. The number two problem is sound cards -- see above.
4. Don't start the installation process unless you have a current Windows
boot disk. (There's a very good one available at the PCSoft site.) As part
of the installation process, both Red Hat and Mandrake will rewrite the
master boot record to enable the dual-boot process. If something goes wrong
and you can't access Windows, boot to the floppy, and run fdisk /mbr to
restore the original master boot record.
5. Red Hat and Mandrake are very similar distributions. My take is that Red
Hat is aimed more at the propeller heads whereas Mandrake caters to users
like me who just want a stable desktop system. Mandrake's installation
process is very easy and quick -- it took me less than an hour from the time
I popped the CD in the drive until I was surfing. As I recall, there was
only one reboot involved.
6. If the Mandrake CD includes a special version of Linux that runs under
Windows, avoid it. It's slow and it crashes.
7. Check out your BIOS -- life is much simpler if there is an option to boot
from a CD. If not, you'll have to make a special boot disk to get the
installation going.
8. Oh yeah, be sure to check out the Drew Dunn's Linux columns at nospin.
Enjoy!
Carroll Grigsby