Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Gary Kaucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:27:41 -0500
I solved the problem. Here is where I went wrong. A few months ago I
switched my computer from Windows 3.11 to Windows 98, totally bypassing the
Windows 98 "experience." I reformatted my hard drive, and did a clean
install of 98. Before I did that, I used the backup utility on Windows 3.11
to backup some things that I wanted to have after Windows 98 was installed.
I quickly found out that the MSBackup that came with Windows 98 was not
compatible with the old Backup on Windows 3.11. However, I "tried" to make
it work a few times before I realized this. In the course of doing this, it
"catalogued" my old backup file Cc80823a.001 so that it would continue to
appear in one of the MSBackup menus. I gave up on using the Windows 98
MSBackup to restore my old files, but I was able to download the Backup
utility that was compatible, and I successfully restored the old files
using that. However, the old catalogue file was still on the Windows 98
MSBackup menu. I don't normally backup anything as this computer is just
for home use.

Well, a few months go by and I forget all this, and I try to do a different
backup using the Windows 98 MSBackup. When I get to the menu that shows
Cc80823a.001 in it I assume that it is some kind of default backup filename
that complies with the .qic format. It "looked technical" so I figured I
wouldn't mess with it! Since it appears to be the only alternative, I
designate it as the backup, the software probably tries to add a .qic
extension to it, and somewhere in the course of all this I get the message
that says the "media contains an unknown media format." I get rid of the
Cc80823a.001 in the MSBackup menu and replace it with NetZero, the software
adds .qic to it, and everything works fine!

Acacdemic question: How come I was able to backup, verify, and restore the
.zip file using MSBackup and the old file format Cc80823a.001?  Are .zip
files generally universally "backupable" between the Windows 3.11 and
Windows 98 backup applications?

Gary Kaucher
Riegelsville, PA