Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:17:24 -0800
On 25 Sep 99, at 11:48, Alex Polenov wrote:

> What parameters may I edit in file Win.ini of Windows foulder
> (Win98)?

  .INI files were a mechanism used in 16-bit windows, and
retained/honoured in Win 9x ONLY for the sake of backward
compatibility.  In general, 32-bit programs should be using the
registry, and anything you can do through one of these .ini files and
not through the registry should be regarded as probably obsolete.

> How may I edit [Fonts] and [TrueType] sections?

  Adding and removing fonts, including TrueType fonts, should be done
through the "Fonts" control panel.

> What is [Compatibility] section?

  This section was introduced in Windows 3 to hold flags identifying
specific popular applications from Windows 2 that depended on
features that changed when Windows 3 was released.  You should
probably not still be trying to run any of these.

> Are there instructions of win.ini and system.ini?

  You can probably still find references to them, especially in
programming documentation for 16-bit Windows versions.

> May be there are another ini files of Windows98?

  Any new OS code should be using the registry instead.  Applications
*can* have their own .ini file, but Microsoft has been discouraging
this.

David G

         PCSOFT only works if you contribute. Send your messages
              to be posted to: [log in to unmask]