Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Ken Vickery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:57:50 -0400
---- PCSOFT automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============

Topics of the day:

  1. Access to hard drive without a mouse (2)

                 our special coffee cups and mouse pads
              with the PCSOFT logo...  at a great price!!!

Date:    Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:55:59 -0500
From:    Betty House <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Access to hard drive without a mouse

I am visiting my mom who is in a retirement center.  She has a Compaq
which is running ME.  Unfortunately she is suffering from Alzheimer's
and cannot tell me what has transpired with her computer.  The mouse she
had attached does not work, I purchased three new mice and installed
them - the computer does not recognize them.  Tried a hands free as well
as corded.  She has family tree information on this system that no one
else has.  Is there a way of using key board commands to access the hard
drive?  I am going to be here for another day or so, and could access
it.  She won't let me take the hard drive out of the apartment and the
management won't help me slip it out as they say she gets so upset
whenever anyone tells her the system isn't working.  They have tried.
At some point she transferred all the disks of information onto this
system and then heaven only knows what happend to the disks as she would
not let me have them - or copy them.  Any help would be of assistance.
Thanks much -Betty

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:11:46 -0400
From:    Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Access to hard drive without a mouse

I assume you're trying a mouse with the round plug on the end.
Generally, the computer must be off when you plug the mouse in, it will
not detect it once it has started up.  You can also try a usb mouse, if
the pc has usb ports.    They generally will work if plugged in with
power off or on.  Is the keyboard working?  The round plugs are the same
for keyboard and mouse, any chance they got switched?
Paul Hachmeyer

Betty House wrote:

> I am visiting my mom who is in a retirement center.  She has a Compaq
> which is running ME.  Unfortunately she is suffering from Alzheimer's
> and cannot tell me what has transpired with her computer.  The mouse
> she had attached does not work, I purchased three new mice and
> installed them - the computer does not recognize them.  Tried a hands
> free as well as corded.  She has family tree information on this
> system that no one else has.  Is there a way of using key board
> commands to access the hard drive?  I am going to be here for another
> day or so, and could access it.  She won't let me take the hard drive
> out of the apartment and the management won't help me slip it out as
> they say she gets so upset whenever anyone tells her the system isn't
> working.  They have tried.  At some point she transferred all the
> disks of information onto this system and then heaven only knows what
> happend to the disks as she would not let me have them - or copy
> them.  Any help would be of assistance.  Thanks much -Betty

Betty, you might try using your Alt key and arrow keys to highlight your My Computer on your desktop.  (if your desktop is not your primary screen, then try the Windows Key + the D key to get to the desktop).  Once you highlight My Computer, then hit Enter.  Highlight the C drive and continue using your arrow keys and Enter key to get where you want to go.

If from the desktop you want to go to a program to run it, the highlight the program icon using the same technique and press Enter.  If the program is not on the desktop, then press the Windows key to bring up you Menu and proceed using the arrow keys.

It is slow, but it works for me using WP.  I long since dumped ME.
Blessings,
Ken

End of PCSOFT Digest - 19 Sep 2007 to 20 Sep 2007 (#2007-221)