Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:11:58 -0500
Alan Priol posts:---

 <<<< I have just had my IE browsers home page hijacked by a spyware site which
instructed me to use their scan. After trying various spyware and hijack
removal programs I gave up and restored a previous image. The IE
Tools\Internet Options\General tab is missing as it was with the infected
OS. This removes the option of changing the home page, amongst other things.
Any help to restore this tab would be appreciated.
The operating system is XP Pro >>>>

 The identification and "rescue" of the captured from the " hijacker" is a very very complicated and tedious process and most of the time will require the assistance of security experts. having said this I would suggest the following.

(1)download a freeware utility called " browser helper object demon " from

http://www.definitivesolutions.com.

(2) install and run the prog. it will show a list of browser helpers in your system. some of them are needed for specific applications and some may have been installed by malware. if you highlight each selection and click the tab "details " you will get an idea of which is which.if you are unable to decide you will have to post the details to some forum (including this if you so desire) to make further progress.

(3) browse the following url for more details.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

(4) you may also have to download a utility called " hijack this" (info about this is contained in URL (3) above.

(5) if you run this utility it will show a very long list of registry entries.

(6) at this stage it is advisable to post the entire "log" to the appropriate forum at (a)http://forum.aumha.org  or (b) www.spywareinfo.com/ or (3)
 http://castlecops.com/  seeking help.

NOTE:-- I have not so far (touchwood) had this problem and CAN NOT VOUCH for the
usefulness (except for "browser helper object demon" which I have in my system ) of the above suggestions but only a hope arising from general reading and experience of some friends.

FWIW and good luck----Venkat Viswanathan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml