Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 21:59:46 -0700
<I was wondering if someone could please give me a hand in structuring my
repartitioning & file system layouts.
< I was thinking of dividing my 2.1 GB into the 3 typical
partitions--system, data, and applications.
>David Coulthart

I just did a new install of NT4 Server SP3. At this point  I have NT , SP3
, drivers and hot fixes. I am using 164 megs on my System drive.
At this point of the build Workstation would be about the same. My
Workstation PCs have 500 meg C drives. I create a separate partition for
the swap file...preferably on the secondary channel.on another physical
drive, If you can't have two hard drives on two controllers but you have
two hard drives on one controller  put the swap file on a different
physical drive then the OS.......concurrent swapping can take place greatly
reducing the overhead and resulting in better response times. If you only
have one drive put the swap file on its own partition. This makes a huge
difference in performance with NT. Say you have 64 megs of Ram.....100 meg
partition should be plenty...unless you are going to use it for a
particular application or game that needs a huge swap file. I just ran into
this with Unreal ....I had to increase my swap file to 250 megs....but this
is the first time I have run into this.

Your 3 partition setup sounds fine...just add a small one for the swap file..
Personally I like to use a lot of logical drives....I prefer them to
directories...so I will have one for Media ....for downloads.....for
comm....etc.

I was
>wondering if anyone can give me a rough estimate as to how much space i
>should leave for the system partition (planning on copying over
>system/cab files to system partition as well--only those for I386,
>however).

I would leave 500 for the system but if your going to install a lot of
utilities on it add enough to cover that. The 500 hundred should handle the
OS, IE4, maybe norton utilities  and a virus program and leave you with
about 150 left over.
I wouldn't install the i386 directory on the hard drive.....it is just
easier with the CD because all the files are there.....this is not like
Win95 sometimes you need to go into other directories.........  once NT is
installed you won't be changing it very often...NT doesn't like to be
changed and every time you do system level changes you need to install SP3
and any hot fixes but if you insist I would add 150 megs for the I386 and SP3

 I was wondering approximately how large I should make my
>applications partition...

300 megs on up....only you know what you want to install.

>My next question involves file systems.  Should I use all NTFS
>partitions, all FAT16, or a combination of both.

The biggest advantage to NTFS is better security , it's more stable for the
person who is never going to shut down and there is less cluster waste but
for a novice it can be a head ache because you will not be able to access
your drive with a boot disk should something go wrong. You can make a sort
of boot disk to take you to a GUI but it relies on files on the hard
drive...and .if those are bad your dead in the water. .....Or I would
recommend you do everything in NTFS partitions but do a second install of
NT on a separate 350 meg FAT 16 partition...you will be able to use this to
boot up and see the other drives should things go wrong.

My guess is you are not going to use this as any kind of a server and
security is not a big issue and you don't have the megs for a second
install.....first time out of the gate I recommend you use all Fat 16
partitions.

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**