Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:20:06 -0800
On  7 Sep 98 at 12:17, John Haymes wrote:

> I wish to create a data base where I can INDEX on any Word in any
> Field in any Record. e.g.  If a record has a field AUTHOR containing
> the string:  "John William Haymes", i wish to index the word
> "Haymes" and be able to turn this index on or off.

  Building indexes tends to be time-consuming; the time pays off in
the improved access speed when they are used.  So turning an index on
or off is an unlikely feature to find in a database product.

  Bibliographic databases that I have worked with have tended to
store author names in "Last, Given" order, and index on the whole
field rather than on idividual words.  Keyword indexes, though,
may behave more like what you describe, and applying one to the
author field is unusual, but shouldn't be too hard.

David G

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**