Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:25:31 -0400
If things are saved in a virtual file system that looks just like the "real" one, how can you tell what was saved in the virtual area?  I have a complex file system and literally thousands of files.  I'm sure I wouldn't have to burrow through all that, but how exactly could you tell which files are new ones?  I clip from sites all the time and save the clips, I create pdf of web pages.  I capture images for icons from the Firefox address bar and save them with MANY other icons (firefox just puts it's own logo in the link you drag out) - another thing, I frequently drag links out into my folders.  How would I find all this stuff to move it from virtual to real?

What about running programs that connect to the internet, such as Microsoft Money or Quicken?

Thanks,
Ann

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Ekkerman
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] Sandboxie Questions

Hi Anna,

I was reading your description of Sandboxie and from it, I understand that you think
that most of the applications you use would have- or are - to be sandboxed.
While you could certainly do that, for safe programs you don't have to do this.

I have used Sandboxie for a few years now and limit the "sandboxing" to internet
browsers and email.It's just that you have to remember to save certain items before
you delete the contents of the sandbox.
Another part of it is for installation of new programs.Not all of them can be
installed in this virtual environment,but a lot or most can be.
Once installed this way,you also have to run them sandboxed and then they can't cause
havoc in your system.Deleting the contents of the sandbox and the virtual Registry
keys ,will remove the program from the system like it never existed.

The way Sandboxie works, is that while you're using an program "sandboxed" ,Sandboxie
will create a virtual file and folder system that mirrors the one that would be used
while NOT sandboxed.Any writing to the Registry is also mirrored and stored in the
virtual registry.So in effect,no changes are made to either the real System or real
Registry.
By System,I mean also User files and folders etc or anywhere this program writes- or
saves- to.
There is an excellent explanation on the website. http://www.sandboxie.com/
Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

You have to decide which programs you want to run sandboxed,but in general you could
get by with just sandboxing programs that connect to the internet to unknown sources,
so they would be internet browsers and email for a start.

But, you are right,IF you sandbox several programs,it could get slightly confusing
-you should make a note of which ones  - however,by exploring the sandbox content,you
will see what was saved and where.
It's just a different concept,but very useful to guard your system.

Peter E.