Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:06:37 +1300
Lewis, I dunno if this'll be helpful for you, but it's my solution to the same problem.

After a recent rebuild, my first priority was to get a reliable backup system in place.  Ghost 2003 was my first thought as I've used it in the past, and although I've ALWAYS found it a real pain in the butt to use, it's qualifications seemed to indicate that it should have the ability to do what I wanted.

But it screwed up not far into the process.  The initial problem was creating a boot CD but there were other factors.  So I gave up on it.  Again.  Maybe I'm lazy - but my policy is not to persevere with software that won't do it's job easily and efficiently in a way that I can understand.

I mean - why bother with stuff that doesn't work properly?  There's too much software out there to waste time with badly constructed programs.  How do YOU know if it's badly constructed?  Answer - if it won't work for YOU.  Simple.

This might sound unduly harsh but I've experimented with a LOT of software.  And I've tried and discarded mountains of incredible rubbish.  But, every so often I've run across applications that were an absolute DREAM to use, often enough to know that they're out there if you can only find them.

End of rant and back to the matter of backups.  Drive Image 7 is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't used it.  I DID try Drive Image 6 but XP didn't seem to agree with it so Flipendo.

Finally, after trying a couple more abortive and unsuccessful applications, I ran across Acronis True Image 7.

This backup app is truly excellent - as far as I'm concerned it qualifies for DREAM status.  It's intelligent enough to be able to work entirely from Windows so you don't need to worry about working in DOS (or what passes for DOS in XP).

And in my case, it enabled me to backup my system to a USB drive, which I believe should be the simplest way of doing the job, as I can leave the disk shut down for 99% of the time.  However, I haven't done a restore yet so I've yet to test it.

Still, I'd venture to suggest that many of us have a backup system that's used frequently to create a backup  - but has never been restored from.

Backup systems are probably a bit like lottery tickets - their main function is to provide hope:--))

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand