Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 21:53:54 -0700
On 11 May 2002, at 17:42, Robert Humble wrote:

> I have been using Trend Micro's PCCillin for several years.  I
> like it because it seems less intrusive than other virus scanners.
> I received notification from Trend that a new version had been
> released.  Since I'm getting 2 or 3 viruses a day I thought I'd go
> ahead and update.  Did so.  After some problems with configuring
> it, it seems to be OK, though slow.
>
> But, immediately after installing it I found that something had
> changed my Eudora email configuration.  The pop3 server name had
> been changed to "local host".  Additionally, the login name had
> been changed.  Changes were made to all 3 mail servers I use.  All
> is well after correcting the configuration.
>
> Question is, did the Trend program do this?  I'll email Trend and
> ask them, of course.  Or, did a virus slip by and do this trick?
> It would be interesting to hear any thoughts on this.

  The Trend program is able to insert itself into the processing of
your email ONLY BECAUSE it does this.  Instead of your email client
talking directly to your ISP's server, these changes make it talk to
the server that Trend has just installed on your machine, which will
talk to the ISP's server on your behalf.
  "Correcting" this configuration takes the Trend software out of the
picture.

> On another subject I received what appears to be a virus spoof
> from the email address of a friend.  It advised deleting
> JBDGMGR.EXE as it was a virus that she had accidentally sent to me
> and everyone else in her address book.  As far as I can determine
> this is a valid Windows file, and it does not scan as a virus.  Any
> thoughts?

  As others have already responded, this is the latest virus hoax
making the rounds.

David Gillett

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml