Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:30:17 -0700
On 16 Jul 99, at 20:47, Alex Polenov wrote:

> I make pictures (banner, button, logo) in PhotoShop. What's the best
> format to store my pictures? I store its in jpg in case its very popular
> format (stand for photo images). But I've heard that gif is best to comuter
> graphic.

  There is no single *best* format for all applications.

  .GIF and .JPG are both compressed formats -- they will make much smaller
files (and much faster downloads) than raw bitmap files would.
Unfortunately, some of thinformation that was in the original image is lost
in the compression process.
  .JPG compression tends to lose small details.  This will be very annoying
if the graphic is a line drawing or detail sketch, but won't much affect
enjoyment of a scanned photograph.
  .GIF compression is limited to 256 colours (there's a subset of 216
recommended for web graphics), and so subtle hues and shading may be lost.
But this format really shines on line drawings and blocks of solid colour --
such as you'll often use in logos and buttons.

  For your specific purposes at the moment ("banner, button, logo"), .GIF
files will be smaller and will download faster than .JPG files.  But you may
find yourself, in future, working on other kinds of images where .JPG will be
a better choice.

David G

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html