Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 01:44:12 +1000
David writes:

<<I seem to be having a number of IE 6.0 related problems....
Is there a way to completely remove all traces of it from my computer and
start over again with a completely clean install..????  When I try removing
it via the add/remove capability in the control panel and then
reinstalling, I get a message that I have a more current version of it on
my system...>>

There are utilities that will remove some versions of IE. I don't know
whether there are any for version 6, but you might try a Google search for
them. Try a search for IE remove or uninstall and see what turns up.

The difficulty is that Microsoft uses IE to update Windows, so that
installing it not only installs a browser, but makes important
modifications to Windows itself.  I believe that is the main reason why it
can't be simply uninstalled, as it probably overwrites a number of system
files. Readers will recall that it was Microsoft's anti-trust argument that
IE was written to be an integral part of the operating system, thus it was
not possible (according to their arguments) to separate the two.

Presumably you've tried its "repair" function. (An option in Add'Remove
when you click the "Remove" button).

Alternatively, try a registry restoration dating back to when all was well.
Fixes most minor glitches. This should have much the same effect as a fresh
install.

A workaround MIGHT be to backup your entire Windows folder, rename or move
it (which will also get rid of parts of IE and any contaminated registry),
delete the IE folder from Program Files,  then do a complete new install of
Windows, followed by the re-installation of IE.

Don Penlington
Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml