Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 03:21:49 -0500
Hi Philip,

First I'm going to answer your question regarding the file splitter.

There are numerous free ones to be found ,but one I have used satisfactorily for years

is HJSplit  http://www.hjsplit.org/

"HJSplit for Windows and Linux support file sizes of over 100 Gigabytes, MD5 checksums, file-compare, "run without install" and both editions are fully portable."

Secondly ,you have to be aware of the limitations of your system.

You're running XP SP2 and therefore start off with a handicap.

I'm not criticizing your system .As far as I'm concerned people can run what they like.

It's not up to me to dictate what they should run or not run, but at least be aware of the limitations.

SP3 has some improvements over SP2 ,but the main hang-up is that XP can't handle files that are way over 4GB

not all that well since RAM on XP is limited to 4GB.

A larger paging file will help but your limits are more or less "built in", so you will experience slowdowns with

those very large files.

As an aside ,anybody who uses a computer a lot for dedicated functions, like Audio- ,Graphics- or Video editing,

should turn off any not related services. No internet connection ,No automatic updating of ANY program,

including Windows Updates, No Indexing ,No AV or anti-malware running or scanning.No System sounds.

No unrelated programs running in the background.No printers or scanners etc(including their services.) No screensavers.

Install the maximum amount of RAM that the machine will take ,especially for video editing.

So ,to come back to your questions:

You could increase your paging size to 3GB or 1.5X physical RAM.

Even try 2x physical RAM and see if there's an improvement.

Keep in mind that the paging file (the hard drive) is a lot slower than RAM.

Your only solution - without changing hardware - is to limit your file sizes (and not forget to stop between sets)

Peter E.