Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:13:32 -0800
On 18 Feb 99, at 14:40, Dennis W Williams wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to pick up a virus using basic juno?
>
> I can not receive attachments, just text e-mail.

  You would never *accidentally or unknowingly* perform all of the
steps, in sequence, needed to turn plain text e-mail into a virus.

  There are two exceptions:

1.  To retireve your mail, you may need to connect to the net.  You're
probably not running a very secure OS, but as long as you only connect
occasionally and don't indulge in high-risk behaviours (IRC), your odds
of being attacked online are VERY low.

2.  One can think of the various e-mail hoaxes as viruses that infect
minds rather than computers, and these *do* travel in text.
Paradoxically, they manage to travel at far greater speeds through the
net than ever before, but still seem to last and last and last.
  Luckily, their only hostile effect seems to be to get people to
forward them, and look foolish when they find out it was a hoax, by
which time they've already spread.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html