Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:28:18 -0700
On 7 Sep 2006 at 11:05, Rowena Montgomery wrote:

> My computer is a Sony PCV-RX 850.  Is the "System speaker" different from
> the Audio device?  Audio is YAMAHA AC.XG WDM Audio.  My Sound scheme is
> "Windows Default" which I think is "System speaker".  Properties say "No
> drivers are installed for this device".  Driver details say "No driver files
> are required or have been loaded for this device."  When I clicked update
> the driver, "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than
> the software you currently have installed."

  "System speaker" almost certainly refers to the simple speaker attached to
the motherboard, and not to the Yamaha sound hardware.  There is (or used to
be) a driver available to approximate Windows sound on the motherboard
speaker, but since that uses the CPU to perform all of the functions that a
sound card does in hardware, it's only for use as a last resort.  [This is
how the BIOS is able to beep at you if a memory or video error prevents the
machine from booting.....]

  The "Windows Default" Sound Scheme has nothing to do with devices, but
rather specifies .WAV files to be played when certain Windows events occur:
boot up, shutdown, error message, and so on.  These .WAV files will be
played on the current sound device.

  Does the Device Manager list the Yamaha hardware?  What does it say about
drivers for that device?

David Gillett

                       http://freepctech.com/rode