Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:34:03 -0500
For those needing to get rid of spyware and viruses (they are getting close
to being the same thing nowadays), here are the programs I recommend to
everyone. I find that no one program is able to clean all of these critters
from a system, so I use a multiple approach to disenfecting systems.

Hope these will help everyone

Fran Bott

Spyware and Antivirus
Before running any of these programs, be sure to turn off system restore as
some of the spyware will hide there . When you remove it from the system,
then reboot, the spyware will replace itself back in the system trough the
system restore - so don't forget to turn it off. After 24 hours of use after
cleaning out the spyware you can turn system restore back on.

To turn off System Restore:
Right click on "My Computer" then left click on Properties. Now look for the
system restore tab and click on it.

Spy Sweeper is award-winning software that effectively and safely detects
and removes spyware from your PC to protect you from identity theft, browser
hijackers, hackers, keyloggers and Trojans.
http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever
being installed

Shoot the Messenger - In addition to being a security risk, Windows'
"Messenger Service" is being used to "Spam"
Windows users across the Internet.
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

AntiVirus

AVG Antivirus - http://www.grisoft.com
This should be running on your system at all times. Set the Updater to check
for update every 3 days as a standard procedure. Use the icon in the system
tray to find the update tab. If you leave it at the default setting of 14
days, by the time you get an update our system may already be compromised -
Remember all the viruses floating around the last couple of weeks? Also, you
can manually update it using the Update Manager tab when clicking on the
icon in the system tray. I will usually update it everyday when there are a
rash of viruses on the move
A Squared - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
This one does virus and malware. It also found a trace for me in a system
restore file, the others do not do that.

Stinger - from McAfee - This is updated about every 30-45 days. It can be
used as a backup or if a virus has disabled you installed virus program -
which they can do.
Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses.
It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to
assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system.
Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process
scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/