Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 22:13:13 -0400
There is such a thing as overkill, or the law of diminishing returns.  If you have a hardware firewall, zonealarm,and you are reasonably careful about what you download (you have a virus checker that is always updated and a spyware checker), that is about as much as you need to do. The hackers will look for an easier target.  Kind of like putting the club or an alarm on your car.  Sure someone who really wants your car or to hijack your computer can do it, but mostly they are looking for an easy hit. I use ultra stealth by turning off my cable modem if I am not using the computer.  Even the best hacker can't beat that.

>Help!  You knowlegeable, generous gurus out there!  I read and read and I still have a failure in comprehension about the safety of files and current memory on my computer..
>
>I very rarely get any spam any longer (IHateSpam and OE configured rules).  I have a Linksys Router that I use as a hardware firewall.  I also run the free version of ZoneAlarm  (I run SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and SpyBlaster too).  I went to a site (that I can no longer find) that checked my PC out and said my ports were "stealthed" - but I don't know whether they are stealthed by ZoneAlarm or the hardware firewall.  And I don't know if that is enough - or exactly what that may NOT protect me against.
>
>I use RoboForm and I'm concerned that while I have it open (the only way it is of any use to me is to keep it open) that "crackers" could read or websites could suck down my passwords and credit card numbers, etc.   because the files are accessible without further password entry whenever roboform is "open" (i.e. usable)
>
>I don't know how this all works.  I'm driving myself crazy with long horrible passwords to RoboForm and to a data file that I keep on my computer, both of which I access many times a day.   I also encrypt all of the records I scan in and I password my Quicken data file.  Everything that I encrypt, I also encrypt it's backup.  My backups are on a second hard drive.  Can someone breaking into my computer also "see" that second hard drive?  What about the CD-Rom drive?
>
>Am I driving myself crazy for nothing?  Would I be in danger of someone getting my critical information if I didn't password all my files so strongly?  What exactly do my firewalls do (and NOT do) and are there other ways (perhaps from websites) that information could be stolen from my PC if I don't wrap it up so tight that its a bummer to try to use it?  What about data in the clipboard or temporary internet files or cookies (I don't ask sites to "remember" my passwords since I got Roboform?   I also "hid" my Roboform data files in an abnormal place, but I noticed that if you bring up Roboform (can't hide the program), the "Options" say flat out where this folder is.
>
>What can someone do on my computer?  Can they use "search"?  Can they use it the same way I do?  If I am using the computer, can I see what is happening?  Does it help that I turn off the computer at night, when I'm not using it?  I don't reallly KNOW EXACTLY what CAN be done by "crackers" or websites and HOW?  I'm very confused.
>
>Can I safely assume that my firewalls are keeping thieves out of my computer and not worry about passwording every file that contains anything important?   If not, do passwords REALLY need to be 14 alpha-numeric characters with upper and lower case and special characters?  It gets exhausting.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml