Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
*~£ãf~* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:16:52 -0600
I regularly assist a friend of mine in her attempts to become more familiar and comfortable using the computer.  She has an IBM  E22U, running Windows 98. This past weekend we discovered that we cannot access additional fonts in the fonts folder and cannot install a new font in the windows/font folder.   We opened MS Word and Paint Shop Pro and only the basic fonts are available. The only way to use a new font in any program is by finding the font you want to use and choose open and leave the font open on the desktop.

I ran scan disk/defrag. Soft boot, checked again nothing. Powered the system off left it for the afternoon, powered on then tried again to no avail.

I went to windows/fonts open the fonts folder/file/Install new font.  Install new font is not there. Instead the menu has only New/folder.

I then went to Control Panel/fonts.  The same thing.  Install new font isn't even listed on the menu.

I then checked the properties of the folder and noted in the attributes that the section marked System is greyed out but there is Not a check mark in it.  Read only/Hidden/Archive features are available. I then checked all the other folders in windows and noted the System area was greyed out With a checkmark in it.

I then took the system disk looking for a custom restore.  The features available are Full Format, Custom Restore, PC diagnostics. So I ran a full diagnostics. Everything passed. Then went to the custom restore only to discover this only allows the restore of factory installed software.  Further investigation failed to turn up a fonts folder.

I checked my own fonts folder, Install New Font is there. I checked my properties and the greyed out check by System  is there.  But then I did a really stupid thing and clicked in the attributes area and lost my own checkmark in the system folder. But if I check the read only file I can still install a new font.

I went back to the other system and checked read only and it now gives the option to install new font BUT when selected the Add Font Window does not open.

I am considered to be rather computer savvy and I'm stumped. With the checkmark missing I believe it is not being recognized as a system folder. Short of doing a full reformat how do I change this folder to be a system folder.  I cannot find how to put a checkmark in the system box.

Any assistance or direction you could render would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Łori Fraser

                       http://freepctech.com/rode