Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:51:16 -0700
On 23 Aug 2001, at 17:08, Robert Zeoli wrote:

> Hi I am managing a 30 person manufacturing firm and we are
> interested in purchasing a new accounting software package
> (accounts payables, receivables, payroll, etc).  We currently have
> a system that we share with a sister company and runs on an IBM
> A/S 400 computer with  proprietary software that was coded in the
> early 90's.  The software company is now defunct and we do not
> have support.  We are looking to bring our accounting in house
> with by purchasing new computer equipment & software.  We have
> quotes on a new IBM 400 and software packages that combined are in
> the 60 to 70 thousand dollar range.  I am considering instead
> going with a pc network (3 pcs) which I'm sure could be purchased,
> installed, and provide training  for considerably less $.  My
> question is: does anyone have any recommendations for accounting
> software packages?  I am looking at Peachtree Complete 2002 and
> Peachtree 2000 which according to Peachtree will meet our needs.
> We are planning growth in the future for about 100 employees and 7
> million in sales.  Thank you for any recomendations or thoughts on
> where to address this need.

  I don't have a specific package to recommend, but there is a set of
issues which arise in distributing an application across several
computers that are easily avoided when the application runs on a
single machine.  So my suggestions are:

1.  ABSOLUTELY ensure that the package you select allows for multiple
simultaneous users.

2.  Consider putting the application and its data files on a server-
class machine, in a physically secure location (locked), with someone
whose job includes nightly data backups.  I like the Dell 2400 for
organizations that are new to this, or the 2450 if you already have a
19" rack system.

3.  If the application is going on a server anyway, you might
consider looking at Citrix WinFrame or NT/2000 "Terminal Server
Edition" to perhaps reduce the kinds of resources you need to put on
each user's desktop.

  It seems to me that for three users, you ought to be able to get
away with something under $20K, at a very rough estimate.  (Choices 2
& 3 enable you to require a password or other secured access to this
application, even if you don't require it for these employees to get
to email/web/local files/etc.  Your auditors are likely to insist on
that.)

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml