Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:25:29 -0400
At 10/20/98 09:32 PM , Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
>I wish it were that simple; I'm not having
>a problem playing midi's, wav's, or any other multimedia.

If IBM has used one of the latest version Multimedia type files, you would
be able to play any older type files, but not the new ones, with older
drivers.  What you need to do is find out what multimedia file types are in
the subdirectories created by VIA Voice to know which file is not playing.
My installation from several months back had an .avi file, but it may have
changed by now. (By the way, some newer avi files will not pay with older
ms-video drivers).

>I re-installed the latest MediaPlayer thinking that might help.  I
>also downloaded and installed QuickTime but to no avail. I don't
>know if I have the latest DirectX stuff.  I'm not that familiar; how
>do I tell, where do I get it (Microsoft)?  I don't have any MPG(?)
>on my HD to try that type of file.

The DirectX 6.0 can be obtained from Microsoft but I have had faster
results getting it at:  http://www.download.com/ (and search for DirectX).

There are Win95 and Win98 versions.   The Mpeg standards (and pseudo
standards) have been changing very fast and can have extensions like .mpx
where "x" is a number such as "3".  Even then, there are several versions
of  .mp3 files.  The thing that I liked about DirectX is that I got the
latest drivers for several multimedia types, both video, audio.

The Doc wrote:

>> Harold,  I think what you are seeing is the wizard is trying to play a
>>MIDI
>> or sound device file and your driver for that particular type of audio
>> device is outdated.

>> At 10/16/98 11:51 PM , Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
>> >decided to purchase the IBM <VIA Voice>
>> >After loading the software and rebooting, I got to the
>> >ViaVoice
>> >User Wizard.  After agreeing with user name, first environment, etc.
>> >etc., I click on NEXT and get the following:
>> >
>> >        MCI Error
>> >        MMSYSTEM296   The file cannot be played on the specified MCI
>> >device.  The file may be corrupt or not in the correct format.

Doug Simmons