Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Susan Gillispie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:10:32 GMT
Date: October 3, 2000
from: [log in to unmask]
subject: random isp dialup

I had this exact same problem.  In researching it, apparently the problem is
with the preferences in the system tray of the isp; you can click on the
icon for your isp and look at what you have set up and be sure to uncheck
"automatically connect to the internet".  Somehow I had done something to
mine where even this would not work, so what I did was make all the isp
accounts password protected, i.e. uncheck the little box that says "remember
password".  That way, all that will happen is the dialog box will come up
and it will say "enter password" but it won't be able to connect to the
internet and tie up your telephone.  I was really uneasy to find my computer
connected to the internet when I wasn't there, and having a password is a
really simple way to prevent that happening.

>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:11:48 -0500
>From:    M & J Doolin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Random ISP Dial Up
>
>One alternative is disconnecting the modem line from the phone
>jack.  Another is to go into any of the software you're using
>and tell it not to connect automatically.  Unfortunately, many
>of the ad-filled OE messages sent HTML are set up to contact
>the web to retrieve pix, etc, so each of them will activate
>the dialing on the server;  I believe if you go to File>Work
>Offline in your mail program and in your browser, you can get
>around this problem.  Do you have Windows Update set to check
>for updates; you can uncheck that feature or simply get it out
>of startup by going to Run>type   msconfig  and click on
>startup, untick that program.  Honestly, I think the simplest
>work around is to unplug the phone line.
>
>HTH,  Joanne Doolin
>
> > Date:    Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:54:44 -0400
> > From:    "K. Karl Kuller" <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Random ISP Dial Up
> >
> > Hello All,
> >     My backup computer with Windows 98 SE has gotten into
>the habit of
> > randomly dialing my ISP, thus tying up my telephone line.
>Does anyone know
> > why this would happen and how it can be eliminated?
> >     Since I need to have both my main and backup computers
>running, the only
> > workaround I could think of was to connect my main computer
>to my ISP first
> > then fire up my backup computer, which would show an error
>dialog box (No
> > Dial Tone).  As long as the error was displayed, it could
>not again dial up
> > my ISP.  Disconnecting my main computer from my ISP would
>then give me some
> > peace of mind.
> >
> > K. Karl Kuller          [log in to unmask]

http://profiles.msn.com.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html