Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:06:13 -0800
On 6 Jan 99, at 22:10, Alex Polenov wrote:

> I want to get more info about connection by modem. My friend has
> modem too.
>
> May I play games with him and need I for a net to do it?

  It depends on the game -- some provide this feature, but
many do not. It's not something you can add to a game that
doesn't have it.

> May I send letter, doc, pic, game to him without using email?

  Yes -- but.  Both modems cannot dial out -- one must dial
out, and one must answer the other's call.  Programs to dial
out are quite common, but programs to answer are not.  Some of
the popular dial-out programs include a "host mode" where they
will answer the phone, and various ways of moving files
between one machine and the other.

> May he use my email account (he has no one) for getting email
> access?

  I don't recommend that you let him dial into your ISP and sign on as
you, which is what most people have assumed you were asking.
  It's relatively easy, though, for you to pick out messages that are
for him, and put them in a file/folder to be transferred to his machine
as above.  ONCE.  Trying to do it every day would get pretty tedious
pretty quickly.  If you want to be his ISP, you could set up a server
with dial-in support including SMTP and POP; you can use tools like
fetchmail to automate parts of the process.  [There are various ways
you could arrange with your ISP so he'd have his own email address;
probably the simplest is to get your own domain.]
  This is probably more effort and expense than you'd go to for any but
the very best of friends.

David G

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>