Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:22:44 -0400
Friday night I posted a message about how to move
fonts into a subsidiary folder in order to speed up
the Windows boot process.  Since that time, my personal
mailbox has been flooded with requests for more details
and requests to repost the same message.

To those of you who wrote directly to me, thank you for
your vote of confidence in me, but please understand
that I do not have enough time to answer the same question
over and over and over (48 of you sent me the same basic
question).

I (and the other moderators) DO enjoy "talking" with you.
And we are glad to help you with problems concerning the
use of the mailing lists.  However, I would like to point
out that one of the policies for our mailing lists is:

>The Moderating Team for PCBUILD, PCSOFT and VPLANETS
>by policy will not answer questions asked by private Email.
>Due to the size and scope of these mailing lists we are regularly
>inundated with requests for "personal assistance."   We make it
>a policy to refer such questions to be posted to the list.
>
>Asking for personal service and personal assistance "off" of these
>mailing lists only serves to defeat the purpose of the lists.  If you
>ask questions of the moderators by private Email instead of
>posting to the list, the questions will be ignored.  Post your questions
>to the mailing lists.

With that said and done....

Each time you install a new software application, it adds 1 or 2 or
even several dozen new fonts into your system.

Every time Win95 boots, it must catalogue and index all those fonts.
You can gain a small increase in the boot speed for Windows 95 by
reducing the number of fonts which are installed.  A secondary
advantage is that font intensive applications (like your word
processor) can run just a tiny bit faster also.

It depends on how many fonts you have installed and how many
you move out, but at the most, we are talking about a small
increase in the boot speed -- you won't get a nose bleed from
the speed increase but you should notice a difference.

Also, remember that we are talking about how fast
windows starts -- not how fast windows operates.

If you absolutely, positively KNOW that you will NEVER - EVER
use them, just delete them.  It will speed up the windows
boot process and regain some space on your hard drive.

If you want to keep them around for "just in case", then....

First you need to create a folder to store the unused fonts.
Create it ANYwhere you want by using the windows explorer
to create a new folder.  I put mine inside the FONTS folder
and called it ONHOLD (this must be done via a DOS window - not
the explorer).

A folder called  Q:\FRAMASTAT\UNUSED\FONTS-ON-HOLD
will work just as good as C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ONHOLD  or even
C:\WINDOWS\HIDE 'EM     will work.

Now that you have a folder, use the windows explorer to cut
and paste (move) the unused fonts out of the FONTS folder
and into your hold folder.  The next time you boot you should
see a slight increase in speed.

When you decide you want to use one of these fonts...
Use the windows explorer to cut and paste the font
back in to the FONTS folder (don't drag 'cause this
will copy the file instead of move)
That's all there is to it.  No need to reboot, windows
will automatically add it to the font list as soon as
you put it into the FONTS folder.

Some of you asked about system level fonts.  These fonts
all have an extension of FON and are hidden.  They are
only seen when using a dos window.  FON fonts are the
ones that you monitor uses to display words -- like in
dialog boxes, or the words FILE EDIT VIEW on a menu bar.

DO NOT fool with FON files!

Jim Meagher
Micro Solutions Consulting    Member of the HTML Writers Guild & the
[log in to unmask]              International Web Masters Association