Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:56:40 -0500
At 12/14/99 12:08 PM , Paul Berberich wrote:

>I hope you don't mind my adding to this question.
>I have an older computer without a printer and need to print some of the
>info from that.  When "printing to file" using a floppy is
>there some way in Win 98 to have the printer simply and quickly print that
>file from my floppy?

I have the same situation and print to a file either directly to floppy or
to a file that I later copy to a floppy.  First you have to have the
printer drivers for the printer that will eventually be used installed on
the "printer-less" machine.  Just add from the Start-settings-printers -
Add New Printer wizard.  When It asks for the port the printer is connected
to, just designate "File".

Now just print to that printer from your application and it will ask for
the file name and location as it starts to "print". Either print to the
floppy or to a hard drive and later move the file to a floppy.

I take the floppy to the machine with the printer and open a DOS box.  At
the c:\> prompt I type "copy a:\filename.prn lpt1" <without quotes> (or
lpt2 depending on the LPT port that you printer is on).  The printer will
then print the file as if the application was printing.

I have had mixed results with applications that have "Print to file" as an
option built into them.  Some print an ASCII file and others use the
Windows default printer.  Installing the printer to a file port is the
simplest for me.

Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html