Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 10:58:34 -0800
On  8 Oct 98 at 10:16, Shaun Barry wrote:

> I hope someone can answer this for me. Is there any way to only
> load up certain programs in win98 that appear in the taskbar at
> any one time At the present time it shows 22 items in I would like
> to b
> e able to get this down to may 10 items.
>
> Can we use a menu sytem here if so how? may this be done

  The mail program that I use doesn't like HTML, and doesn't like
paragraphs without line breaks -- it apparently believes that proper
mail message lines are never more than 255 characters long.
  Part of responsible use of Internet mailing lists is to send
messages in a form that everyone else can receive and read.  [If you
no Fred is running Netslook 4.3, you can send him any fancy format
that that package supports.  You have no way to know how many
different e-mail programs folks on a list use, including some who
don't use a PC to read mail.]
  There should be options you can configure with your e-mail program
and editor to send plain ASCII mail.

  The things that appear in the task bar are currently running
applications.  You don't say how much RAM you've got, but I suspect
you're seeing "thrashing" -- the system spends more time swapping
pieces of all the processes in and out of RAM than it does on
actually executing any of them.
  Presumably you're not starting these up by hand, right?  The next
place to look is under Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, because
items listed there will run automatically when the system is booted
[after you log in, if you have a password set up].  [The path will be
a bit different if you have user profiles set up, because each
profile has its own Start Menu tree.]
  You may also look for LOAD=xxx and RUN=XXX lines in
Windows\SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI.
  I seem to recall that there is a registry key that can launch
programs at startup, and I think there might be one more place to
check as well.  But the above are the main ones to look at.

David G

                                  -----