Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:23:25 -0700
On 29 Jul 99, at 11:39, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>   I am getting an error message when trying to use a number of programs ie
> netscape, word 7. The message says there is an invalid page fault at
> toolhelp.dll at 0001:0001a57. I have replaced the toolhelp.dll with a file
> from another machine but that didn't solve the problem. What should I do
> next?

  TOOLHELP.DLL provides access to some internal structures of 16-bit Windows
to allow certain kinds of utilities to be written.  It is included in Windows
95 and 98 to allow these 16-bit utiltities to continue to function.
  Nothing else should ever use it.  If you can identify the particular
utility you are running that depends on it, perhaps it's time to see if
there's a 32-bit upgrade path available.

  A web search for references to TOOLHELP.DLL finds two common problems:
Incorrect version (often, utility B has installed its own old copy over the
newer version previously installed (and required) by utility A), and multiple
versions.
  Use the "Find" item from the Start menu to locate copies of TOOLHELP.DLL on
your hard drive.  There should be two; one that was installed to
<windows>\SYSBCKUP when you installed Windows, and one in <windows>\SYSTEM
which is the copy actually meant to be used.  Copy the former over top of the
latter, and delete or rename any other copies you find,

  It's possible that TOOLHELP is just an innocent bystander, that some other
component is passing it an invalid value, and TOOLHELP just gets the blame
when it tries to *use* that value.  Prime suspects would be (a) the video
driver, or (b) failing RAM.

David G

                         The NOSPIN Group, Inc.
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org