Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:24:25 -0700
On 12 Aug 2001, at 19:28, Don Riggs wrote:

> It is becoming essential that we install filtering software on
> public access machines.  Some of the local citizenry are
> understanding, but there are naturally a few people who can't have
> their kids viewing "the wrong type" of material, but they can't be
> bothered to supervise their children.

  I'm hesitant to recommend such software, because (a) it can't be
selective about *who* it blocks from seeing things, (b) it's as hard
to keep up-to-date as antivirus products, if not harder, and (c) it
seems that whenever people manage to get a list of what's being
blocked, they find things that *shouldn't* be blocked.

  I believe we have a woman here in California (but not this county)
who has sued her local library system three times so far, trying to
establish that they are responsible for supervising her kid.  Every
time, the court has thrown out her case.

  Our local library has installed some sort of blocking software, but
only on machines that are in the children's wing of the library, and
not on the general-use machines.  That seems to be a livable
compromise; I do not know which specific product they use.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml