Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:55:33 -0700
I've done some research and have found a few programs so far that don't
release all the memory they use and FreeRAM does not recover it. A lot of my
programs do release all of the memory they use. I'm gradually working my way
through the programs on my computer from most frequently used to almost
never used. I have not even considered any programs that run automatically
on start up. With the exception of Norton System Works (discussed later),
the programs that retain memory do it on the first start up and not on
subsequent uses which is acceptable and in line with your thoughts on the
matter as follows:

Outlook Express 6.0  0.8MB
Internet Explorer 6.0  7MB
Quicken 2000  1MB
Webferret Pro 5.0  1MB
Adaware  3MB

Norton System Works 2003  32MB first time opening, 4MB each time it opens
after that
NAV Virus Scan  95MB

Free RAM recovers none of these memory leakages except 2MB of NAV Virus
Scan. Although FreeRAM does recover some minor amounts of memory from time
to time, it is certainly not the answer. I'll keep it because it does some
good and no harm and uses only a small amount of resources.

A letter is going out today to Symantec.

Tom Mayer

Could it be that recovering every 30 mins is recovering memory but there
is only a minimal amount to recover. If you added all these 30 min
recovery bits together then you may end up with 100 Mb over 24 hours. In
other words it is working as required.

I am assuming that FreeRAM will recover RAM every 30 mins or if the RAM
drops below 128 Mb it will recover as soon as the CPU limit allows.

On rereading your message I am left wondering how you are determining
the 100 Mb leakage after 24 hours if FreeRAM is not picking it up. Are
you comparing the free RAM at bootup with the RAM after 24 hours? If so,
the difference may not be leakage. Windows seems to put some things in
virtual memory that one would think should remain in actual memory if
there is room. Perhaps when these programs/data are required they are
put in real memory and that is where they stay. Also, after running some
programs they may leave certain data in memory  in case you rerun the
program or they rerun automatically. Antivirus, firewalls, spy detector
programs could fall into this category.

Orf

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml