Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Matthew Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:35:49 -0700
>As my first day of college fast approaches, I am getting my computer ready
>for using the Ethernet network (fast!) in the dorms for the internet. Right
>now I am using dialup networking and a modem to access the internet on my
>Win98 machine. Obviously no dialup will be needed, and I heard that one must
>disable dialup networking in order for the Ethernet access to work.
>Question: what do I have to do to set up the machine to access the internet
>through the network and not through a modem? Thank you,

You definately do not need to diable Dial Up Networking for it to work.
Windows 95/98/NT can handle multiple devices handling TCP/IP with little or
no problems.  (namely Dial-Up Adapter and your Ethernet card).  The school
will have directions for the exact setup for their network.

Note:  If you want to still be able to use Dial-Up Networking with your
existing connection, make sure the DNS and other setting are set in the
properties of the connection itself (from the Dial-Up Networking windows,
not in the Network Control Panel), which it should be.  Also, when you get
there, you will want to go into the Internet Options for Internet Explorer
(or from Control Panel) and then go to the Connections tab, you will want
to set it to either Never dial a connection or to Dial when a network
connection is not present (probably the first of the two.)

Good luck at college,
Matthew Ballard
Computer Consultant

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: