Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:08:41 -0800
On 26 Nov 2001, at 8:01, Susan S. Hays wrote:

> He everyone:
>
> I am still using InnoculateIT my computer at home.  Could someone
> please tell me how I set the program to remove the DAT file after
> it is downloaded?  Do I have to remove them one at a time?  I have
> a folder just full of them.  With EZTrust, they remove themselves
> after downloaded them but with InnoculateIT, they remain on my
> computer.
>
> Thank you,
> Susan Hays

  Depending on how the code is written, this could be a Very Bad
Idea.

  I'm not specifically familiar with InnoculateIT, but I remember
using a version of McAfee's AntiVirus where the code basically said
"After loading the initial databse of known virus signatures, pick up
any .DAT files from this directory and add them to the database *in
memory*."
  The original database was not altered by the process of downloading
additional .DAT files.  If one removed some .DAT files and rebooted,
the antivirus product would no longer know about (and protect
against) any viruses whose signatures had been defined in those .DAT
files.

  This is apparently not how EZTrust wrote their code, but it's a
simple and effective way to do it, and it might very well be how
InnoculateIT works.  It may be important to keep those .DAT files
around in order to be protected -- I wouldn't remove them without a
clear statement from InnoculateIT that this is safe to do.

David Gillett

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml