Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Donna Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 15:19:35 EDT
Hi Rick,

If you  ask any more questions, be sure to say which method you use to make
the  Image files... (In Windows, or using the boot-cd.)
I only use the boot-cd  approach.
I chose Create An Image and it had me make a Bootable  CD.   However, I was
in Windows when I made the image, so not sure  what the answer is.  That was
another question I had at the time I made it:  if the boot CD was valid.

Run  TrueImage again and look again to "see" what is there.
Start setting up to  make another full image.
Put a check to the left of the "Disk 1"  selection.
This is where I see three partitions, both before and after  making any
selections.
Right after you look at this, hit cancel.
If you  do not see anything like that, it might be Windows "hiding it" from
you.
Try the same thing Booting  from an "Acronis made" TrueImage Boot  disk.
I did this and did not see anything but my C drive, so apparently,  Dell does
have the other two hidden.  However, in looking at my Log in  TrueImage, it
shows this.  Doesn't this, below, the 0-0 partitions,  indicate the two
un-lettered partitions that you spoke about??
.Creating the image has started.
.Analyzing partition 0-0.....
.Analyzing partition C:......
.Analyzing  partition 0-0....
.Analyzing  partition F:....
.Pending  operation 101 started: "Saving partition structure"
.Pending  operation 104 started: :Creating partition image"
.Imaging operation summary:|Create Full Image|From: Disk 1|  To
 file: "F:\******.tib"|Compression: None\Description: | "This  is a direct
full image backup to Drive F, USB external HD.  Created  4/19/05"
.Image creation has succeeded.

If you do not "get" all that Dell put on that drive, you may not be able  to
use the
computer restore disks or some other DELL features.
FWIW: It  surprised me there were two ("hidden") un-lettered partitions.

The  following is the way it looks in Acronis Partition Expert, which  gives
slightly more detail. The only real difference is the "actual"order  (physical
placement on the drive), and being able  to see the empty  space at the
end...)

This is on a DELL (OEM) 2400 manufactured  09/12/04.
First was fat16, primary, 39M, 0xde (EISA configuration), no drive  letter.
Next was NTFS, primary, active, 71G, "C"
Last was fat32, primary,  3G, 0xdb (Concurrent DOS, CTOS), no drive letter.
(There was also the extra  8M un-allocated at the end that MS always puts
there
when their tools set up  a drive...)

Is Partition  Expert part of True Image software??  I couldn't find it in my
program  to check and see what it says about mine.

I'm no expert on DELL, so you might have to call them, write to  Acronis, or
wait for a more "DELL" experienced list member to speak  up...  I generally
run
Acronis from a Boot CD that I make with their  Media Builder program, (part of
the installed program on your  HardDrive.)

I'm not sure about "testing" with an external drive since you  are trying to
"reproduce"
an emergency situation and full bare metal  recovery. (The image could be
stored on
the external). A MAJOR change, like  trying to boot from an external drive
when the
system was NOT backed up when  running from an external drive seems to be
counter
productive. Windows might  "figure out" the changes, but I would "worry" that
it would
not... My  "restored drives" always work if/when they are installed where the
 "original
drive" was when the backup was made. (It is supposed to "replace"  the old
~"failed"~
drive...) I like to keep the test simple. Nothing "odd"  like "restoring to"
an external...

I hear  ya!   I don't think anyone I know would be willing to lend me their
hard drive.   I'm thinking I better just go on backing up my files in  my old
method on CDs till I can acquire another internal HD to use for  testing.

One way to keep things simple is to do "everything" with an Acronis  Boot
disk of
the program. That helps a lot since at that point any and all  drives in the
system are
"reduced" to data drives and Windows can't get in  the way...
Remember, if you ever REALLY need to restore an Image, it is  likely either
the
hard drive failed OR Windows is trashed and you have to  learn the "boot-CD"
way
anyway, and have the Acronis Boot-CD made in advance  and know how to use
it...

Yes, I had thought  that way, too.  So, I made the boot CD, but wasn't sure
if it was  successful, and I tried to boot from it.  Well, that told me
nothing,  because everything looked just as it always does and I didn't know if the
system  booted from the CD or from its regular boot system.  So, I DON'T know
how  to use the CD, obviously.

I'm printing out  your 2 emails you've written about this subject and I'll
dig them out again when  I get the new internal bought & installed.  Then I'll
start all over  with a fresh full backup and will make the boot CD and maybe
even make a boot  floppy, too.  (don't think my CD drawer will open before the
computer is  on)

Anyhow, thank you  for all of your good advice and info.  It has given me
lots of direction to  use when I am ready to start all over.  Lots more info than
I had with just  the Acronis instructions.

Donna  Parsons