Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 23:30:50 +1000
Dianne wrote:

<<
*I just had a virus on my computer.

I wasn't able to get into the programs I tried like Office 2010 programs,
and firefox.  It turned AVG and Windows Defender off.>>

Sounds like it might have been one of the 80 or so variants of Fake Alert.

Provided you regularly keep Malwarebytes updated (the free version has to
be updated manually), you should have been able to eliminate your "virus"
by running a Malwarebytes full scan in Safe Mode.

AVG lost its way a long time ago---just about every week I see computers
using AVG as their sole protection which are full of spyware and trojans.
As the Fake Alert (which has similar symptoms as you mention) is not
strictly speaking a virus, some antivirus programs won't see it.

This nasty piece of malware has been around for quite some time now, and
some forms can leave a real mess behind when they are removed.  McAfee has
a free "FakeAlert" removal toll available for download which does a good
job of detection and removal.

Whenever you have had any sort of infection, you should turn disable System
Restore, as lot of malware can resurrect itself from System Restore at a
later date. Once you have disabled SR, you can then re-enable it again.
Being a protected system file, SR may not be accessible to some anti-virus
programs.

Up till now, my first choice of antivirus protection has been Avira, but
they've just come up with a new version with is no longer compatible with
Malwarebytes, so I think they've rather shot themselves in the foot in no
uncertain terms.  I tried to install the new version with first
uninstalling Malwarebytes (not following their advice, tut, tu) and it
ended up with neither working and neither being capable of being
uninstalled. If anyone is in that situation (and I know a lot of people
are), Avira have a special Avira registry cleaner which you have to
download and run to get rid of the new version before you can reinstall the
old version.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you update and run a full
Malwarebytes scan in Safe Mode. This gives any security scan a much better
chance of finding the nasties, as usually they can't protect themselves if
they aren't running.

Your virus could be any one of thousands, so I'm only guessing. It wouldn't
have to be new.

Your major worry is:  Where did you pick this up from, and will it
return?  Any idea how it got into your system?

Do you use Google's Chrome browser?  It has a very good blacklist of known
bad websites containing malware and will warn you before you enter any such
site. That's just one of many possibilities.

Don Penlington

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com