Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Alice Blankenship <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:58:16 -0400
Hi Larry.....I don't know why but I do know that some writers make
propeitary discs that only that writer can read. We had one where I work a
while back. It was an old one from when writers were first coming out in
the stores. I have not heard of this happening with new writers, but
doesn't mean it couldn'T I suppose.
Alice

At 8/2/02 06:37 AM, you wrote:
>As initially suggested by the moderators of this forum, I posed this problem
>to the folks at the hardware forum PCBUILD but have yet to find something
>that works. The solution may just be software rather than a hardware thing.
>Perhaps the PCSOFT contributors have encountered a similar problem and know
>of a workaround.
>
>What is the determining factor on whether a CD-ROM drive will read or even
>recognize a CD/R or CD/RW?
>
>Here's the reason for my question. I had made a number of CD/Rs and CD/RWs
>on a WIN98 machine using a 16/10/40a PlexWriter. A new WIN98 machine with an
>old "HEX-Speed" Creative Labs CD-ROM would not recognize the backed up file
>data on either media. As well, it would not recognize an MP-3 music CD/R
>made with the same application (Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum). For the backed
>up file data, the CD/Rs and CD/RWs were formatted first before the data was
>written to it using Easy CD Creator. The data was written to it by Windows
>Explorer. In the case of the MP3 music CD, it was made entirely within the
>CD Creator MP3 Music Project application. The new machine would not
>recognize the CDs at all under Windows Explorer. In the case of the MP3
>music CD, neither autoplay or Music Match Jukebox would recognize it for
>play.
>
>However it will recognize both file data and MP3 music -- if they were made
>under the auspices of the "Make a Data CD project" option of Easy CD
>Creator. In Roxio's terminology, ". . . a data CD is ideal (having the
>highest compatibility) for sharing multimedia presentations, graphics, CAD
>files, Internet downloads, Websites, and company documents with your
>colleagues.".
>
>I was hopeful when a PCBUILD contributor suggested downloading a UDF reader
>from Roxio (creator of Easy CD Creator) but after trying it out, the WIN98
>machine still refused to recognize that anything usable was in the drive -
>in this case, both CD/Rs or CD/RWs.
>
>So I guess my question really is, would a newer CD-ROM drive in the target
>PC likely be able to recognize the differing media such as my file data
>created on CD/Rs and CD/RWs as noted above, as well as MP3 music created
>using the "Make a MP3Music project" option of Easy CD Creator? Is it that
>later models of CD-ROMs have built in recognition for these formats or
>better drivers or something - OR - is there some other software patch that
>people have had luck with?
>
>Larry Stewart Ottawa, Canada e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>              Do you want to signoff PCSOFT or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com