Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:55:12 -0800
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Aside: Isn't it amazing how language is becoming a series of initials
that are harder and harder to understand? What irks me is that in older
articles in the news media the first time an initial was used in the
article the meaning would be given and now that isn't done too often. I
spend a lot of time figuring out what initials stand for so that I can
understand the article. Sometimes I give up trying.

Back to your question: My understanding of OEM software is that an
equipment manufacturer normally packages that software with hardware.
For example, "retail" CD rewrite drives might be packaged with software
to burn information onto the drive. Depending on how rigid the license
between the software owner and the manufacturer is written, the
manufacturer might legally be able to sell the software without the
intended associated hardware. These sales might also utilize a middle
man to actually handle the sales.

As long as the manufacturer is abiding by the software license, OEM
software can be sold alone or with any "hardware" and is normally
cheaper than the "retail" version.

There is also OEM hardware. As with OEM software, the intent is that it
be sold with some associated hardware. A CD writer sold with a computer
would most likely be OEM. (Some computer manufacturers also manufacture
some or all of the components in which case those components would not
be OEM.)

I've tried to be brief and simple. The overall process is probably more
complicated.

Tom Mayer

chipo chika wrote:
> What is OEM software?
>

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:31:22 -0800, "Thomas Mayer"
> <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>> OEM and retail software are basically the same except that I've seen
>> some OEM software that is designed to run only on Dell computers and
>> will be clearly indicated.
>>
>> OEM normally comes in cheaper or no packaging and with some form of
>> hardware. One time I got a single screw with the software. Also, the
>> supplier needs to be a trusted source to avoid buying a pirated product.
>> I have never had a problem with Amazon.
>>
>> Tom Mayer
>>
>> Marv Donarski wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone trll me if thier is a problem installing OEM software. I plan on buyimg a Microsoft Office program at Amazon.com, the price is right but will I have trouble indtalling the software. I haveWindows XP Home SP2 for an OS and Nidrosoft Dffice 97 installed on it now. I plan to delete tje Office 97 and install Office 2003 Basic OEM Anything to look out for?  TIA  Marv

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>