Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jorge Ocasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:13:05 -0400
Hi Folks,

I hope someone can provide some help.  Yesterday, a friend of a friend
called me about a problem he had.

His story is that he had received an email from his wife's friend.  Upon
opening it his system started to misbehave.  He was dumped to Windows and
then to DOS.

He couldn't start windows again so he started to check out his system via
DOS.  He found that all of his files had disappeared except for three very
large files with the following names: Default, IDULIKE AND TECKINGU (or
something like them, since he didn't write them down).

He tried to reinstall DOS then Windows but these files wont go away.  He is
afraid that they contain his data as well as all the other files on the HD.
 He wants to recover his data if possible but barring that he wants to make
sure that he completely removes the virus.

Anyway to sum up: this sounds like a virus to me but has anyone ever heard
of this type.  I can research viruses at the CERT website (among others)
but I would need the name.  In this case I only know the symptoms.  Can
anyone enlighten me.

I'm sure that once I buy an antivirus program for him and run it, I can get
rid of the virus but I don't know if I would have any chance of recovering
his files.

His system is:
        No name PC running Windows 3.1
        16 Mb RAM
        500 Mb HD

He backs up his work at very irregular intervals.  Win 3.1 explains (but
does not excuse) not having protection.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Jorge Ocasio