Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 23:51:47 +1000
Michael writes:

<<My OS is Win98SE which was installed
over Win 98 which was installed over Win 95.>>

General consensus seems to be that this is most definitely not
recommended---usually leads to rather flaky performance. No OS should be
installed over the top of another version (despite Microsoft's assertions
to the contrary).  I suppose it might work OK if your software and usage is
simple and non-demanding.

<<Later after disconnecting and then trying to dial-up again,
the utility displays various corruptions.
Sometimes it does not initialize the modem
(USRobotics V.90 internal ISA non-Win modem),
sometimes it intializes the modem which then
seems to connect but the logging in sequence
hangs, sometimes it seems to have logged in
but the "Bytes received" reads only 200 or so
bytes and no Internet connection exists.

Sometimes a hard reboot fixes the problem,
more recently I have had to turn the
computer off and on again as a workaround.>>

First, try removing dialup adaptor (Control Panel/Network/Remove driver).
OK you way out, reboot, insert the Windows CD, return to Network, and Add
whatever was there before---typically select Protocols/Add/Microsoft/TCP.IP
or whatever is appropriate.  OK out, then hit "ADD" again, select "Client",
then "Client for Microsoft Networks".  Your configuration may be
different---write down all the existing info before you start removing
anything.

Alternatively, and perhaps easier and better, after removing existing
modem/network drivers, reinstall Windows over the top.  Do a custom
install, and include Microsoft Network and anything that goes with
it.  This should get your dialup adaptor back to its original capacity.

If you've installed later versions of IE or anything similar, you'll
probably get several messages asking if you want to keep later
files---usually say yes.

You might have to play around with this procedure a bit before you
eliminate all error messages. If all else fails, and you suspect a file
corruption, you might have to do another removal-install, this time
electing to go with the original older Windows files. Then a simple
reinstall over-the-top of IE should bring you back up to date again.

There is a MSKB article on removing and reinstalling Dialup Adpator, but
their recommended procedure is very convoluted, involving endless reboots.

If all that fails, then I'd suspect a flaky modem, especially if it's the
original Win 95 one. They don't seem to last forever, and seem to have
slightly different design parameters for various flavours of Windows. So
don't expect too much out of one designed for Win 95 if you are using 98SE.
Though from memory the V90's weren't out in the Win 95 era, so I'd guess
its not the original one.  Make sure it's the right modem for your
system--some modems  can apparently get pretty flaky if not optimised for
the system.

I assume you've had your telephone lines checked out, and that you have
nothing else such as an answerphone connected to the same phone line.  Some
modems are very sensitive to any static on the phone line, and are designed
to cut out at any sign of interference.

You could try playing around with initialization strings (in CP/Modem
/Properties, Advanced Connection Settings--check the manufacturers website
for suggested settings).  I believe these can modify patterns such as
static sensitivity, but I doubt that this would make much difference, from
the symptoms you relate.

If the problem is gradually getting worse, I'd suspect a faulty modem or
too much static on the phone line. Whereas Dialup Adpator problems usually
happen suddenly, and you'll get error messages (usually singularly
unhelpful, like "the line is busy" when you know it isn't.)

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com