Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dave Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:44:09 -0400
A few days ago, in a pique of aggravation at slowness in attempting to play
a sound file using Quicktime (and general frustration at Real Audio and
Microsoft multimedia programs also fighting for control of my machine), I
deleted Quicktime software from my computer.  They may have gotten even
with me.  I cannot get sound to play at all in fashion on the machine now.

I run Win 98SE, on an 850 MHz AMD Athlon processor, with Via chip set, and
a built in sound card on the motherboard.

Now, even when Win 98 boots up, there is no crescendo of sound when it
finally is booted.  (There is the old AT beep codes during the POST, so at
least the little speaker inside the computer is working.)

I tried going through the help wizard provided by MS in the Win 98SE help
files, but no joy.  The help wizard basically asks one to reinstall the
wave device files.

I ran Norton System Works one button tuneup, hoping that maybe it would
discover and repair broken links, etc.  But that was no help at all.

I have not yet re-installed Quicktime to see what that does.

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions on (1) getting the speakers up and
running again and (2) any suggestions on abating the effects on me, and
maybe the rest of the list, of the war between the free media players,
Real, MS and Quicktime, and whomever else, this latter being a little
complicated in that some sites insist on a particular player to see or hear
particular files.

Thank you for your help.  Dave Ralph

David E. Ralph
Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.
215 E. Church St., Ste 301
Elmira, NY 14901
VOX 607-734-1647
FAX 607-734-1018