Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:49:26 -0400
Sixto Balicoco wrote:
 > I have Win98 in my system. Everytime I install a new application,
 > it asks me to exit all windows programs running. So I hit
 > ctrl + alt + del  to 'end task' all the applications running in
 > the background EXCEPT explorer and systray, then I proceed back
 > on installing the new software. However, after the installation
 > is finished, it would ask me to re-start the system (which I
 > normally do even with Win95). And when all the displays are gone
 > the screen would give me a prompt 'Windows 98 is shutting down'
 > and it will stay there forever.

When you try to restart after installing a new program, Windows
may be trying to shutdown some program which is no longer running...
or may be trying to unload some file that depends on one of these
programs that is no longer running. If you were to start this
problem program back up again before Restarting Windows, Windows
might not hang when you do restart the computer.

So before re-starting your system, try re-loading all the programs
that you turned off. Go to Start and then Log Off. Then Log On again.
If that doesn't restart all the programs or doesn't keep Windows
from hanging at shutdown, run the System Configuration Editor (type
MSCONFIG in the Start, Run menu, and click OK) to see what loads at
Startup. Then manually start each of these programs. Of course, when
first prompted to restart Windows after installing a program, choose
"Later" so that you can manually Restart after everything is loaded
again.

Another thing to try would be to Restart the computer BEFORE you
go to install any program. But when you see that Windows is about
to start loading, hold down on the shift key until Windows is
completely done loading. This prevents Windows from starting many
of those programs that normally load when Windows starts. If
Windows starts without these extra programs, maybe it won't hang
when you try to Exit or Restart.

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at: