Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:10:04 -0500
At 07:31 03/08/02, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>On 03/08/2002 at 3:33:50 EST, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > Got a message from Microsoft Security ("Thank you for using
> > Microsoft products. With friendly greetings, MS Internet
> > Security Center.") about "this is the latest version of
> > security update, the  "2 Mar 2002 Cumulative Patch"...
> > I haven't touched the .exe file that is attached because
> > I'm paranoid. Microsoft has never sent me anything telling
> > me their software is faulty and offering me help.
>
>This is a legitimate *patch*. However, you may want to get the
>official patch from Microsoft, and NOT run the one sent you
>as it *might* be something else...

I read recently that someone claiming to be Microsoft is sending a
fake (virus infected) "security patch" attached to emails. I forget
the details (I skim through hundreds of emails a day). As Peter said,
there is indeed a cumulative security patch at Microsoft's website
(which is already out of date after about a week)...but I'm sure
they wouldn't send it out attached to an email.

This is an old trick. I got a message like this last year...and the
attachment was indeed a virus. (If I recall correctly, they said
they were emailing me a security patch that would "update" all MS
operating systems...because I was such a loyal customer.) I'll bet
that if you examine the full headers of your message (as David G.
mentioned) you'll find it's not really from Microsoft. (You might
have to run a Whois on IP addresses from the headers.)

Regards,
Bill