Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:59:22 -0500
At 10:01 PM 3/23/99 , aldridge wrote:

>What happened to you is scary and could happen to any of us that use our
>credit cards over the web.  I have two daughters that purchase things and
>don't always look for the lock that shows a secure line.  I cringe to think
>of the information they give out!!!!!!!

I agree with Rob's response that credit card information is *much* easier
and simpler to obtain in non-internet ways. Do you mail payments to your
credit card company with the letter passing through many hands with the
address showing that it contains your credit card number???  The Joe-Blow
credit card thief probably has no idea how to intercept electronic mail but
look at the characters that you hand your credit cards to in restaurants,
gas stations, grocery stores, etc. that may have a pencil handy. Not to
mention all the other workers that can get that piece of paper later.  No
high tech involved and much easier.  As Rob stated, I only use the
encrypted sales sites for giving out credit card information, but again the
insecure part is that there are people on the other end, just as there are
behind the gas stations going through the garbage cans.

I worry less about credit card purchases on the net than I do about
purchases elsewhere.  The best defense is the guarantees by the credit card
companies for stolen and unauthorized purchases. Checking account
information has different rules and vary more than credit card problems.
Doug Simmons

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html