Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:35:40 -0800
On 2 Feb 99, at 17:43, David Farrington wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
>
> >  To recap:  VPN inserts an encryption/decryption transport layer into
> > network traffic between two nodes, so that the content traffic cannot be
> > read.  Typically, ordinary LAN traffic is implemented at two or more
> > secured sites, and VPN is used to connect them through the otherwise
> > insecure Internet. .....
> >

> David.
>
> Can VPN only be used through the Internet. I'm asking can it be used
> between modem and modem to establish an slow network? I was thinking that
> the password login and the VPN connection could help with the security?
>
> David <><

  This is at least theoretically possible, since with Dial-up
Networking the lower-level connection to the modem is "disguised" as a
network interface.
  But Microsoft recommends PPTP to provide encryption features in
RAS/RRAS dial-up hosting, which has a similar structure but a different
implementation.

  Encrypting the traffic on a modem link only makes sense if you're
worried about wiretaps.  [Hayes made at least one 2400bps modem that
could be used as an analog "sniffer", but I haven't seen this feature
on faster modems.]
  It's important in such a scenario to encrypt the password part of the
process, as well as the content.  I'd bet VPN doesn't do that, because
it works in terms of an existing connection; PPTP offers several
options, including a setting which encrypts the whole session including
the logon.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html