Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:21:23 -0500
From: "g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:10 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jagpal S Tiwana" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: [PCSOFT] PCSOFT Digest - 17 Feb 2008 to 18 Feb 2008
(#2008-44)

>When I bought a new comuter, Norton came installed as a trial
>version. Now trial period has expired, I find hard to uninstall or
>disable it. Any tips ?   --Jagpal S Tiwana

---------------------
<Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you manually delete any files that appear
<to be from Symantec.  It looks to me as if  Norton replaces some
<important system files with those of its own.  If you delete them, you
<run a risk of trashing your operating system.

Then you have to restore everything from your restore disk or
partition - and guess what?  I'm baacckk! - Norton is reinstalled too.

<snip>

<Another possibility is to reload your operating system from the save
<disks or whatever your computer came with.  If you have not changed it
<since you bought it and don't mind going back to a fresh install, that
<is one way to solve the problem.

A real fresh install would be great EXCEPT with Dell and HP, that means
a fresh install WITH Norton and whatever other crap Dell or HP were paid
to load up your hard drive with.  They SELL your hard disk space to
vendors and advertisers and if you try a "fresh" reinstall or restore -
back it comes!  In the future, I would not buy a computer with stuff
like this pre-loaded.  I saw recently where Dell & someone else was
selling "clean" installs - FOR A HIGHER PRICE than if you let them sell
part of your hard drive space (which to me is fraud - saying they are
selling you an xGB hard drive and then half filling it with garbage you
can't get off, leaving you with less HDD space than
romised).  --AnnaSummers

<snip>

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml

------------------------------

I can't speak for other members of the forum, but my experience with my
first "purchased" Dell product is not as you describe. (I have refurbished
other older Dell products donated to me) The Dell 8400 I purchased from
E-Bay (through a third party supplier who bought, from Dell, their
returned/rejected PC's en masse) was delivered "stock" with the usual trial
offers, and bloat ware that you and other members of the forum describe.
However, I've reformatted it several times since using the supplied cd's
that came with it and haven't had a issue with the trial ware. The cd's
supplied were; the OS (WinXPPro (SP1), a cd containing the various drivers
for chipset, modem, etc., a cd for MS Money 2004 and a cd containing various
trial programs and other utilities.

I simply chose not to install them. The system can be restored clean and
without the bloat ware. I'm not sure of the accuracy of the statement that
Dell charges "extra" for computers not loaded with trial ware but it is
offered ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133297/article.html) It is
interesting to note that after the release of the popular freeware program
"de-crapifier (http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download) and an article in
PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137285/article.html) that there
seems to be a movement among some companies to offer PC's that aren't pre
loaded with clutter.

I do agree, that if you are so inclined and/or have the skill, building your
own PC (or at least ordering a custom built with non-proprietary components)
can eliminate a lot of the hassles of setting up and enjoying your computer.

Just my pair of pennies.  ;-)

Chris Ryan

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>