Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joe Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:44:31 +0200
>I made a poll I use on the internet and the responses are emailed to me.
>I get a message in this form.
>
>name=value
>name=value
>...and so on.
>
>How can I quickly import several hundred of these from Netscape Comm.
>Messenger 4.06 into Excel 97 so I may use the data?
>
>Jerry

Jerry, some ideas, no guarantees ...
If you have too many responses to convert each one separately you'll
need to find some way of saving multiple emails into a single text file.
 In Exchange you just select all the emails and choose file-save as; not
sure about communicator.  Also, in saving the email as text you'll have
all the From: Subject: and other garbage which you may have to delete
manually.

So I assume you can get to a text file with just the name=value lines
(in blocks for each response I suppose).   Then you can open the text
file in excel - which will result in a single column with all the
entries - and use the Data - Text to columns feature.  Choose type
"delimited" and set the delimiter to '=' (in the Other: box).

Now it depends what you want to do with the data.  Presumably you'd
prefer a table with the various field names across the top and one row
for each response with the relevant values.  I don't know an easy way to
do this - maybe someone else can come up with one - but curiously, this
is the same problem that Ernie Goens posted in connection with Access
just now.  See my response to that ...

Joe

                                  -----
        **Need help with PCSOFT mailing list? Send an Email to:**