Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:49:19 -0800
On 28 Dec 2001, at 4:46, Dean Kameron wrote:

> I'm still trying to recover from the AT&T@home switch over. The
> problem I'm experiencing is that I can only address some URL's. I
> can ping the ip of a nonworking URL successfully, but neither
> IE6.0 nor Navigatior works using that address.This seems to be a
> problem in Windows (I use Win98se)but I'm not sure how to proceed
> and I don't want to reinstall Win98se if it can be avoided.Your
> ideas would be appreciated.

  If you can ping a machine by address, but not by name [It's not
100% clear from your message whether you've TRIED pinging by
name...], then that most likely means that your difficulty is with
"name resolution", the process of translating a host name to an
address.
  This probably means that in switching network service, you also
need to change the address(es) used to reach DNS servers.  (You may
see some addresses continue to work because the information has been
cached or is available via other means.)
  While you can, in fact, use almost any public DNS server for this
function, ISPs usually provide 1-4 of them for their customers to
use.  It's reasonably likely that your machine is still trying to use
the @home servers for this -- contact your service provider to find
out what they recommend instead.

  If you can ping by both name and address, but cannot connect with a
browser, that would tend to indicate that although there is a machine
at that address, it is not accepting HTTP connections (or, not
accepting them from you or your provider...).  Double check the URL
to make sure that you're not trying to use HTTPS -- many web servers
don't support that.  (I've occasionally done this to myself, editting
the host name in the URL without noticing that I need to switch
protocol.)

Dave Gillett